Re: [News] Students Love GNU/Linux, Microsoft Teaches with FreeBSD

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 11 September 2006 17:32 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Attracting Students to C# With FreeBSD
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Giga Information Group analyst Rob Enderle says Microsoft is trying to
>>| win the hearts and minds of computer science college students who are
>>| currently enamored of Linux and open source.
>>|
>>| Giga's Enderle maintains Microsoft chose FreeBSD because it's "viewed
>>| as being neutral, whereas Linux is viewed as being a competing
>>| platform."
>> `----
>>
>> http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=2004
>
> This way, Microsoft can own the Student's work...

I fear that Microsoft might follow the lead of Apple and develop a
relationship with BSD code*, which it has stolen/supposedly bought in the
past. Still, several years of redesign give Linux a lead and potentially
break backward compatibility in Windows, which perhaps is a positive points
because of 200,000 viruses.

Best wishes,

Roy

*Well, not quote Darwin.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S