Re: Can Linux experts charge more than MS experts? Linux seems more technical

  • Subject: Re: Can Linux experts charge more than MS experts? Linux seems more technical
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:26:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 11 September 2006 17:02 \__

> ray wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:20:16 -0700, Ned wrote:
>>
>>> These days it seems as though everyone and their grandmother can
>>> administer a microsoft network.  Over the years I've seen hourly rates
>>> and salaries for MS folks drop consistently. With the lower numbers of
>>> people who know Linux and open source in general, and the fact that a
>>> higher level of technical skill is required to manage linux, are hourly
>>> rates and salaries for linux people higher??
>>
>> I don't think I agree with your assessment "that a higher level of
>> technical skill is required to manage Linux". In my experience, it's
>> usually easier - it's just that a lot fewer people have taken that route,
>> so it's foreign to most IT 'experts'.
>
> Yes that's true Ray, but then UNIX was always much easier than people
> supposed. It was the fact that management believed it to be a highly
> complex difficult to run system that kept our wages high for many years.
>
> When the truth is that it could run for years with only preventative
> maintenance and muchus bulshitto in the boardroom.
>
> It's the way the world turns.
>
> Linux is going through a simmilar thing, best get the cheques cashed before
> they spot that we don't have busy days.

...Had that type of job for 3.5 years. After a while they spotted this and
'kindly' offered some extra work, so I resigned. I still have a job that
pays me 3.5 quid per day for an average of 1-5 minutes of work, per day.
Linux is not a luddite (yet), owing to perception. So your point is very
valid...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation
  5:20pm  up 53 days  5:32,  9 users,  load average: 0.88, 1.07, 1.07