Re: [News] Microsoft's Actions in EU Could Backfire

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft's Actions in EU Could Backfire
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:52:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:40:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft May Delay Vista's European Launch
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | It's tit-for-tat time. The EU is not Microsoft's favorite place to do
>> | business right now, given the antitrust climate there. But we think
>> | Microsoft's plans to hold out on Vista could backfire, just like its
>> | foot dragging around complying with the EU's original antitrust decision
>> | did.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,2013753,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
>>
>> This could benefit Linux more than WGA does. Microsoft practically
>> threatens the EU, so it's playing with fire.
>
> I just can't see MS winning this one.
>
> First, they look like whiny little children here. "waah... waah... I'm
> taking my ball and going home!!!"
>
> Second, are there any real advantages of Vista over XP? If Aero is all it
> has, then forget it. And I seriously doubt their new protection measures
> are even a quarter as effective as they claim (and I'm only basing this
> metric on past performance). So, XP is more than likely "Good Enough".
>
> Third, Once people realize the don't need Vista, they'll also wonder why
> they need XP in the first place.
>
> This is a game of chicken that Microsoft just can't win.

It would've worked probably 5 years ago, definitely 10 years ago, but
now?  I think not.  There are so many examples of major migrations into
the linux space, and so many capable, high-quality devices appearing
which are based on linux, that Windows is most certainly an option, at
most.  Even the most die-hard windows guys are aware of linux, now, and
many of them are becoming increasingly curious.

This action could well go down in the history books as the equivalent of
not turning head-on into the iceberg by Captain Edward John Smith.  The
Microsoft ship is most certainly not unsinkable, but will Captain
Ballmer recognise a greater threat?

Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants,
today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.
		-- Dave Barry