Re: SOA - BEPL - Wikis and open source

  • Subject: Re: SOA - BEPL - Wikis and open source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:55:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Peter.H.M.Brooks@xxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 11 September 2006 02:00 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Peter.H.M.Brooks@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 20:42 \__
>>

>> Peter Brooks??? In COLA? What a surprise.
>>
> You might be thinking of one of my namesakes...
>>
>> I have extended PHPWiki to suit my own purposes, namely manage
>> communication with family and friends. What do you have in mind? A paid
>> project or a reference to an existing one?
>>
> At the moment, I'm looking at a reference to an existing one, that
> might change at some stage in the future.
>
> I do like the relative ease of extensibility in wikis. What
> communication method did you use for yours?

I would probably recommend that you use MediaWiki (looking at my solution, in
hindsight), but due to its size (complexity), it will be harder to hack and
harder for others to learn and use. For my own needs, I did something along
the following lines.

http://www.schestowitz.com/Software/Correspondence_Wiki/
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/03/22/life-without-e-mail/
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/05/18/talk-using-wiki/

This also combines a collection of family photos that encourage contribution
and make the pages more pleasant to visit. The pages are password-protected
and this provides an ultimate solution to SPAM.

I had some other ideas at times, e.g.:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/05/25/feeds-correspondence/

Among other thoughts (one of them a couple of days old/fresh):

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/17/rise-of-wikis/
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/09/09/wikis-academia/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S