Re: job market for KDE

  • Subject: Re: job market for KDE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:51:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ lm9user ] on Saturday 30 September 2006 01:13 \__

> Mallor wrote:
>
>> Where can I find paying work for KDE development?  I'm not seeing any
>> job listings at kde.org.  Google turns up little.  I looked at
>> http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Jobs/index_html/KDE
>> and 0 jobs are listed.  When I say "paying work," I mean companies that
>> are looking for KDE specifically and will pay people for having that
>> skill.
>>
>> Any other comments on how people actually get paid to work with / on
>> KDE are welcome.  Please, no flamewars about how open source is
>> supposed to be a pure, noble enterprise.  I've done tons of such work
>> for the Chicken Scheme-to-C compiler over the past year, and it's not
>> feeding me or keeping a roof over my head.  I can't keep that sort of
>> thing up indefinitely; gotta get paid sometime.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Brandon Van Every
>
> you may want to start with trolltech -
> http://www.trolltech.com/careers/open-positions/all
>
> I suspect that most jobs are in Europe and you may want to search job
> sites' European locales. I did find a couple of KDE jobs in the US
> searching monster.

Google's Summer of Code involved some paid projects that augmented KOffice.
Think about it: contribute to FOSS and make money at the same time. Not bad,
eh? The opportunities are there, even if you wish to just create a program
for some company, using QT which is cross-platform.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
         run-level 5  Sep 28 23:16                   last=S