Re: [News] Microsoft Screws Firefox Users, Again

__/ [ Peter Hayes ] on Saturday 30 September 2006 16:29 \__

> In <3428488.ygvQRm19Le@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Roy Schestowitz  wrote:
>> Microsoft Steers Firefox Users Wrong On XP SP1
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| After the Oct. 10 security updates, Microsoft will no longer
>>| distribute fixes to Windows XP SP1 users, including any meant to
>>| patch IE 6 SP1, the browser edition included with the pack. In
>>| addition, Windows XP SP1 users will not be able to update to the more
>>| secure IE 7 when that releases in final form later this year.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060930/tc_cmp/193100649
>>
>> There have been cases where sick sense of humour was used, e.g.
>> runaway menus in microsoft.com. This only affected Firefox users.
>
> Aye, dodgy dealings all the way from the AARD code.

I should have probably included some proof.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/03/23/ie_ban/

The first couple of screenshot exemplify this. It was better demonstrated
live, but it must have changed since it had been initially revealed (I found
it in John Dvorak's blog).

>> Microsoft will forcefeed all XP users, installing Internet Explorer 7
>> as a 'high priority' security update. It's monopoly abuse.
>
> It's also desperately needed assuming it's actually secure.

It's obscure, so it's /temporarily/ secure.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
Mem:    514480k total,   480396k used,    34084k free,    47204k buffers