Re: [News] Aero Glass: Another Java 'Penalty' in Windows

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:03:31 +0100

> Windows Vista: Aero Glass and Java Don't Mix
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Sun Microsystems would do well to give a ring to one of the interop
> | contacts at Microsoft that came out of the firms' historic make-nice
> | agreement back in 2004, and figure out how to make Java apps
> | first-class Vista citizens.
> `----
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,2022483,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
>
> Java performance is said to be poor in Windows, which makes one wonder
> if it's intended to encourage the use of .Net. Likewise, OpenGL
> performance will be significantly degraded in Vista, which may
> encourage programmers to choose the proprietary DirectX, essentially
> ruling out cross-platform/ports.

Most of the java I write does not have a form. That's called the top
half. The bottom half, usually perl based uses Tk and communicates with
the java daemon.

But I agree that some things do have forms. Looks like MS is trying to
just fucking piss people off even more. Sounds like the OS is going to
be very broken out of the box. Why would people even want to put up with
this kind of crap. They're [MS] are no different to GM/Ford. Fuck the
world up for the sake of a quick buck.

> See the following:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In the current implementation (as of 2005-09-22) of the OpenGL
> | graphics library in Windows Vista - a soon to be released new
> version of | the Microsoft Windows operating system, OpenGL is not a
> stand alone | library. Instead it functions as a wrapper around
> DirectX, and is | frozen to the vanilla version of OpenGL 1.4.
> |
> | This means that OpenGL applications in Windows Vista will, most
> | likely, suffer from severe performance loss, that, when an OpenGL
> driver | is loaded, the Windows operating system will have odd
> behaviours and | that future versions of OpenGL will not affect the
> Windows Vista | platform. This would result in less developers
> actively supporting | OpenGL, and as a result, less applications
> written which are easy to | port to another platform or easy to
> maintain. `----
>
> http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/openglvista

Even more problems. No one deliberately makes a system that's going to
be slow.

Everyone sign that petition. But then again, MS don't listen to their
customers, it not like forums and dev mailing lists where devs actually
see the user comments.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://s5h.net/qf
just another python person