Re: AWW SHIT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kelsey Bjarnason
<kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:18:45 -0700
<pan.2006.09.29.17.18.44.965180@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:37:42 -0600, ray wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 03:26:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ ray ] on Friday 29 September 2006 02:48 \__

>>> I missed you too, Ray.
>>
>> No offense, but I think it would be better for everyone if you'd post to a
>> linux.news group. News it may be - advocacy it ain't - IMHO.
>
> Much of it is about new uses for Linux, new adoptions of Linux, new
> technologies for Linux... in short, the many and varied ways in which
> Linux can be adopted and is being adopted by many people for many
> purposes, because of its superior reliability, scalability, flexibility or
> simply cost to use.
>
> How, exactly, is that *not* advocacy?

Well, isn't that the problem?  :-)  It's possible the
Winvocates are of the opinion that this group serves a
purpose similar to that of alt.fan.bill-gates, which is
generally sarcastic in tone.  Obviously, since this is
comp.os.linux.advocacy, we should all be insulting Linux
in a similar fashion.

Admittedly, I don't know the charter of alt.fan.bill-gates.
Personally, I find Linux useful and reliable (and easy to
develop for, but then I cut my teeth on this stuff in my
college daze, CLI and all, in the 1980's).  Hadron Quark
is apparently a reluctant convert to Ubuntu.  Scott Nudds
is an interesting case study of brainwashing (AFAICT) and
certainly is of the opinion that wherever Windows goes,
that's where the future of computing is.

This may indeed be true, regrettably, since Windows
is the desktop monopoly.  Of course, I'm old enough to
have read a considerable amount of science fiction, which
postulated a lot of weird stuff (some of it more realistic
in light of current knowledge than others), and I'm also a
bit of a Trekkie (not a Trekker; I'm not that serious) and
an ex-Doctor Who fan.

Does the housewife really want WinFS in "the kitchen of
tomorrow"?  (Assuming said housewife has time to cook!
There was a show (canceled after 4 or 5 episodes) "Hi,
Honey, I'm Home" [*] which illustrated the problem; it
hasn't really gotten any better.

Do Mom, Dad, Bro, and Sis want to fight over the family
TV -- more like a video wall nowadays -- as they view
the latest episodes of "The Guiding Vista", "As Microsoft
Turns", "L3tters", "Everybody Loves Bill", and "24 Minutes"?

Will Bro and Sis each have his/her own Xbox720, with wireless
capability (with Mom and Dad picking up the tab) so that they
can text all of their friends (at $0.20/message, remittable
to Microsoft)?  Will their phones and earpieces be usable as
audio pickup feeds thereon using Bluetooth?  Will Mom's Zune
shut itself off as the Microsoft Doorbell(tm) rings?

Will Microsoft buy out Diebold and start offering a brand
new lineup of "Automated Voting Machines", which will
connect with Passport and set up the ballot with one's
preferences automatically?  (One still has to press "Vote"
at the end, of course, and can review the selections.
Hopefully it will vote the user's selections, as well.)

Will Microsoft x86/64-based hardware solutions outperform
IBM's z-series mainframes?  (At last check, not likely,
though the Blades are getting warm.)  Will they all run
.NET and be so convenient to use and develop for that Mom
will maintain a web server from the privacy of her bedroom?

And maybe Sis (or for that matter Bro) will want to do a diary,
courtesy of Microsoft Diary(tm)?

Or will sanity eventually prevail?

Stay tuned.

[*] the premise of the show (it was a comedy, of course,
or tried to be) circled around a magic clicker, which
turned everything back into "black and white" mode, with
such time-honored traditions as Mom cooking from scratch.
There were actually two Moms in the show: the normal mother
who has a young teenage kid (I forget whether it was a
boy or girl), and Mom's neighbors, who had the clicker.
It didn't last, but I kinda liked it after a fashion.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
a lot of hot air and vapor.