Re: [News] An Unpopular O/S Celerbrates Half a Decade of Misery

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2578803.59susp148X@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 19:22 \__

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1704776.ZfhVtXKedg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 08:37 \__

I think that Vista was slated to be NT6, /but/ as pretty much everything
new has been removed, and all you're really getting is a new GUI look &
feel, then it's most likely better seen as NT5.2

I expect that MS will name it something like NT7 or NT7000 or something,
in order to hide the lack of progress they've made in the last 6 years.

They play those cards with the XBox 360 and the renaming of Longhorn. It had accumulated bad reputation that got indexed, so articles and negative publicity could be evaded through identity change. This are just two examples among several more.

What was the XBox 360 renamed from?

For Longhorn, if you're referring to Longhorn -> Vista, it's pretty
standard practice to give a computer product an internal codename which
differs from it's release name. Intel, AMD and Sun all do it. I do it for
my personal projects too. If you're referring to something else, what name
change are you referring to?

There's a lot of branding and rebranding going on. Their search technology is
an excellent example. What ever happened to Microsoft Bob? Other than that
dog which we still find in Windows...

Yeah, I heard of the rebranding of the search engine (from "MSN Search" to "Live Search" or something like that, right?), but I was unaware of XBox360 having any other name, nor of Vista having any name other than the "Longhorn" codename. And For the Longhorn -> Vista transition, I don't think it was a sneaky marketting tactic so much as traditional code-name -> release name that a lot of software and hardware vendors do.

- Oliver