Re: [News] Microsoft Sues DRM Cracker, Blames Theft Rather Than Sloppy Implementation, Lockin Mess

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 14:46 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Microsoft sues over source code theft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Microsoft has filed a federal lawsuit against an alleged hacker who
>>| broke through its copy protection technology, charging that the
>>| mystery developer somehow gained access to its copyrighted source code.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6119892.html
>>
>> For all I know, Microsoft was unable force the developer to stop
>> distributing the software as no law was broken (the ISP was contacted, but
>> there was no way of making a compelling legal accusation). It seems to me
>> as though Microsoft make up stories to frame the lad. Will there be a
>> witch hunt for 'DVD Jon' next...?
>
> This is the Microsoft we know and love.   Presumably their intent will
> be to fool a court into believing that the above is actually possible.

I thought about it this afternoon. One way of putting it (I wrote some notes
in my Palm) is this: Microsoft fabrices some needed evidence. And it also
prepares itself for more of the same circular trap where freedom (or control
over data) is being deprived. The French and Australian governments have
recently made it illegal to reverse-engineer DRM. In France, this would also
send you to jail.

Can you recall the situation they had with 'DVD John' (John Loch)? They took
a teenager into court for making it possible to play DVD's (circumventing
some silly CSS bit). They failed. FWIW, here's John's Web site.

http://nanocrew.net/ (mind the title)

The last time I heard from him he went to work for some guy in California,
fully-prepared to take on some serious projects.

It sickens me when laws and charters are created to suit the desires of
companies, but what else is new...?

Best wishes,

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet
Cpu(s):  19.3% user,   2.8% system,   1.0% nice,  76.9% idle