Re: [News] Microsoft Patents Relinquishing -- A PR scam

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Patents Relinquishing -- A PR scam
  • From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:28:29 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:p2squ3-c9d.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
begin  oe_protect.scr
Oliver Wong <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

"[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ml0qu3-i16.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Following the topic, back and forth over both websites, the thing that struck me most is the degree to which corporations have a very real influence on law, and thus the workings of society.

It's not so surprising to me. Laws are not immutable. They can be
changed by the government, and the government is composed of human agents.
Influence those agents (via threats, blackmail, bribes, logical reasoning,
appeal of emotion, or other means) and you influence the law. And it's
easier to influence people if you have a gang to back you up, which is why
corporations tend to have more influence than individuals.

You misunderstand the process, I think. It's about the money they have. Now what would be interesting would be to consider how to /stop/ this corruption.

Wow, did you unplonk me?

Perhaps this solution is a bit idealistic, but if we went for a true democracy (i.e. everyone votes on every matter, as opposed to everyone votes for someone who then decides on every matter for us), the corporations would have to bribe the majority of the people, as opposed to the majority of the politicians. Such bribes will be much more expensive, and cannot in any realistic way be made secret.

- Oliver