Re: [News] Open Source Mail/Calendar/Collaboration Servers A Key to Bringing Linux to the Enterprise

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Scalix is sneaking Linux in through the corporate mailbox

,----[ Quote ]
| The lock-in maneuver
| | [...]
| | "I buy Exchange, I have to go Active Directory on the server side. I have
| no more choice in directories. Then the next thing is, I buy Exchange,
| I actually have to continue to use Outlook as my client. Exchange and
| Outlook are so tightly integrated that you can't really use another
| client.... You basically need to keep your desktops running Windows
| and Outlook into eternity.

I've been looking at Kolab2 recently, and as a precursor to installing it on my mail server, I've begun using Kontact for mail and news at home.

Must say Kontact has improved quite a bit since I last tried it.

Kolab can be used with Outlook (with a plugin) Kontact and with Thunderbird (with the SyncKolab plugin).