Re: We've been duped!

  • Subject: Re: We've been duped!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:49:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Tuesday 26 September 2006 22:06 \__

> "B Gruff" <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> In Manchester, where Turing made his flawed philosophical assumption
>> that set academic AI haring down the wrong path for forty years.
>
>     This author is the first person I've heard who phrased so strongly that
> the Turing Test is the wrong approach for detecting intelligence. Most
> others either agree with Turing's approach, or are unsure, but have no
> better suggestions. Because the author just dismissed the Turing Test
> without explaining what is wrong with it, I'm not sure whether the he has
> an educated opinion, or has completely misunderstood the test, or is just
> trying to write something provocative to garner more attention.

He merely offers an alternative approach, which is perhaps more complex. The
mind doesn't quite work in a simple imperative-like manner. Neural networks
work (pseudo-)simultaneously and drive towards an outcome.

He works on chip design, so he wouldn't just dismiss Turing's work (Turing is
among the greatest sources of pride for CS/Math in the University). And he
wouldn't provoke as you suggest, trust me. He's a gentleman who keeps low
profile; and he is a Fellow of the Royal Society.