Re: Negroponte announces OLPC for eBay, shows off pull-string

  • Subject: Re: Negroponte announces OLPC for eBay, shows off pull-string
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:06:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Tuesday 26 September 2006 03:22 \__

http://laptops.engadget.com/2006/09/20/negroponte-announces-olpc-for-ebay-shows-off-pull-string/

> " it looks like the 2B1 laptop will be available for sale to the western
> world, via eBay of all places. The laptops are expected to go for $450,
> with a $350 tax deduction, and the surplus would go towards buying a
> machine for needy children."

This was inevitable. The $350 price tag was actually there some time ago. I
believe it was a pledge that showed interest in (or support for) the
project.

With such energy-efficient laptops, I wouldn't expect this:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/25/man_saves_laptop/ (video as well)

And how about the Stinkpad (sic) of the kernel hacker, Alan Cox?

http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~telsa/boom/

"Alan was on the other side of the room from the laptop. I was elsewhere. He
yelled out, I ambled towards the room in my own good time, and then I heard
Fire! Real fire! Call the fire brigade, now! and I speeded up a bit.

>From Alan subsequently, I gather there was an explosion and flying pieces of
laptop, and a fireball, and a couple of fires started where (presumably)
boiling battery landed, and one fragment smashed an LCD monitor. And then
there was smoke and smell (there is still smell) and smoke alarm wailing and
firemen and sirens and paramedics (happily unneeded) and police and a man
with a notebook asking questions for the fire report."

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 142 total,   1 running, 138 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie