Re: [News] An Unpopular O/S Celerbrates Half a Decade of Misery

__/ [ SierraTangoFoxtrotUniform ] on Monday 25 September 2006 18:30 \__

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology
>> http://tinyurl.com/r474d
>>
>> XP was unsuccessful in terms of sales.
>
> Really ?
>
> "In that time, this software has been Microsoft's most successful release
> ever in terms of sales. The research firm IDC estimates that about 485
> million copies of XP, excluding pirated versions, had been installed by the
> middle of this year."

That precisely the paragraph I was referring to when I wrote this. I
attempted to dismiss it for being invalid, as did people in other forums
that discuss the article. If attaining a stronghold on OEM's using scare
tactic counts as a valid business strategy, then yes -- XP was a great
success. Not to mention lock-ins, self-corruprting O/Ses, and vital Service
Packs that raise the requirements of the older systems, forcing the client
to follow a narrow route to a issuing another $ale. Ka-ching.