Re: [News] In Defense of GPLv3

__/ [ Donn Miller ] on Monday 25 September 2006 17:35 \__

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> And people out there think it is overdoing
>> I don't like it at all, I think the GPL should stay out of political
>> questions like DRM or software patents, as bad as those are
>>
>> Just recently the kernel maintainers did a poll. None of them was in
>> favour of the GPL3. Not a single one. They wrote a letter demanding to
>> drop the GPL3 in its current state
>>
>> So, in effect, he linux kernel will *never* be GPL3
>
> In fact, I think Linus and the kernel developers would do well to draw
> up their own license, the Linux License, or some such, which puts forth
> a bunch of terms for what can and can't be done with the software.  Here
> we'd have a bunch of open source people contributing to their own
> license.  That would be good.  Something like the BSDL, except more
> restrictive like the GPL except perhaps less so would be a good way to
> go, IMO.

*smile* No more licences! *smile*

There's enough FUD going on /already/, which describes licensing as a maze
that deteres developers and enterprise adopters. HP has describes the large
number of licenses as a barrier. It's almost as though the licenses are
forked as often as the software, which in itself makes the seminal licence a
GPL'ed project with two many derivatives that follow.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source
roy      pts/1        cg001a.halls.man Mon Sep 25 16:54   still logged in