Re: [News] How Valuation Changes...

begin  risky.vbs
	<ef4g0u$4jd$02$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?= <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Roy Culley wrote:
>
>> SW companies like MS and Oracle are very vulnerable. Their only
>> asset, to speak of, is their SW. When the shit hits the pan they
>> have nothing to fall back on. OSS will kill proprietory SW
>> companies.
>
> Not necessarily
> It still depends on the type of software
> I write, for example, highly specialized (psychological) testing
> apps.  The amount of money needed to just get the statistics would
> preclude any OSS scheme. You need somewhere between 100.000 -
> 500.000 Euros, and you still haven't written a single line of code
> then. And this is for a single app (the testing suite I work one has
> 14 different ones by now) Specialized stuff will probably always
> remain in the realms of CSS software

I agree Peter. I was trying to point out why MS are very vulnerable.
A huge amount of SW is written for tackling specific areas. But this
SW will never be released as a product far less CSS/OSS SW.

> But then, nothing precludes running CSS apps on linux

Again, I agree. As long as the SW doesn't infringe any licenses.

> The OS itself though will trounce CSS in the long run

No doubt. It is happening already. The money to be made is in
services. IBM, Red Hat, Novell, knowthis.

--
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as
false, and by rulers as useful." -- Seneca the Younger (4? BC - 65 AD)