Re: Desktop Linux

  • Subject: Re: Desktop Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:15:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Stephen Fairchild ] on Saturday 23 September 2006 18:49 \__

> Linonut wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'm wondering why the reports that promise to inform you
>> about Linux market share cost on the order of $1000.  Someone wants that
>> information pretty badly.
>>
>> Oh, I spoke wrongly:
>>
>> http://www.marketresearch.com/product/display.asp?productid=1265280&xs=r
>>
>> Worldwide Linux Channel 2005-2009 Forecast
>> IDC
>> December 15, 2005
>> 9 Pages - Pub ID: IDC1265280
>>
>> $4500 for an online download.
>>
>> Linux -- big business.
>
> Paranoia about open source: even bigger business.  Is it me or has
> Microsoft spent more money trashing Linux than IBM and friends have spent
> promoting it?

That's the only way to survive for a while longer -- change/instill/maintain
perception. Brainwash makes bigots.

Bear in mind that customer do not choose Windows. The OEM's 'choose' Windows
(forced through scare tactics), so the end user gets no choice. The
'Microsoft tax' is paid and adds up to misleading market share statistics,
irrespective of the machine's true vocation.