Re: [News] Mozilla-OpenOffice Software Merger

__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 23 September 2006 11:30 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 23 September 2006 08:48 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Interesting...  I wonder if there'll be some kind of linkup with
>>> open-exchange, say, to make it easier for businesses to do their own
>>> integration?
>>
>> It sounds like an Evolution turf, but Lightning is bound to have full
>> support for these protocols, as well as for Palm device synchronisation,
>> which I suspect is among the selling point of Open-Xchange. Surely,
>> there's a move towards a fully-blown front- and back-end collaboration
>> frmaeworkthat is application-depedent and Open Source. Competition returns
>> to the IT marketplace.

Oops. I meant to say "application-_in_dependent". Also disregard the
typos please. *smile*

> This mixing and evolution is the power of open source for you doing
> wonders. Personally, I would be happy if konqueror (with fish, smb, ftp
> etc) was integrated into open office because next to writing your document,
> the biggest issue is accessing other machines scattered around
> the office that contain your data.
> So if Open Office had tabs and you could open several documents and work
> on them at the same time, and each of those could also be a konqueror
> window acessing files, then regardless of platform you have access
> to your data.

I am not too fond of (*)Office. Never have been. KOffice, OpenOffice, AbiWork
and some other bloated package whose names I can't recall tackle the problem
of composition in the wrong way (reverse engineering from layout to
description, rather than describing information and layour). Children should
be taught a simple application such as LyX, which produces far more
professional-looking document, with structural semantics, styles set apart.
It easier to use and less complex. Files are smaller and there can be reuse
through linkage.

Now, driving on to my main point, I love PDF's. LyX (or TeX if you descend
lower) gives you PDF's, DVI's, PostScript, or even well-divided HTML. From
each of these you can  generate thumbnails quite quickly, 'on the fly',
unless of course you use 'dinosaur platforms'. This means that rather than
filenames in Konqueror (or Nautilus), you would be looking at, e.g. the
front page of each document. Size is not an issue as it's customisable.
Moreover, there's metadata which can be used. /Structure/ can be used for
extraction of pertinent information for indexing (there's also the
possibility of collaboration, e.g. Wiki with TeX). As regards tabs,
Konqueror (among other file managers) opens PDF in a locally-embedded pane.
There's tab support as well, even for file browsing. This is better
demonstrated than explained verbally.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S