Re: [News] Is Windows Vista Just Windows 9x Underneath?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Is Windows Vista Just Windows 9x Underneath?
  • From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:41:32 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ef0jfi$du4$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In message <9CbQg.26934$bf5.11936@edtnps90>, Oliver Wong wrote:

"Peter KÃhlmann" <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:eepqms$ocb$03$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

user-mode driver framework - > in other words, MS has made sure *again*
that
new drivers have to be written. Apart from that, this is something linux
already has

new user interface -> You've got to be kidding. Linux is *now* already
way ahead of that. This is exactly the lipstick on a pig MS does

IPv6 -> Excuse me while I giggle. Linux has this since several *years*

Symbolic link support -> Linux has this from the very start. Talk about
some
severe delays here

NET 3.0 -> who in his right mind would want another lock-in?

And yada yada yada

Okay, but when did I say these were new features? You're "moving the goalpost". You said none of the features were *INTERESTING*, you didn't say none of the features were *NEW*.

Those features would be "interesting" in the sense that having hot and cold
running water would be "interesting". It's not "interesting", it's
something you take for granted in a modern house.

Microsoft announcing that it's going to add those features to an up and
coming version of Windows is like the Republic of Outer Slobbovia
announcing that, starting sometime soon, as soon as they figure out how,
all new homes will be built with hot and cold running water as standard. It
engages your mind for just long enough to frame the thought "thank goodness
I don't live there", before you move on to thinking about something more
important.

You've got a valid point, but if you look a bit further back in the context of the thread, Kohlmann claimed there were no "interesting" features in response to me accusing Roy of lying. Roy's exact claim was that there are "no compelling reason for an upgrade (unless you like newer icon sets)." I infered that he meant upgrading from XP to Vista (as I doubt Roy would call a transition from Linux to Vista an "upgrade"), so I called him on that claim, saying there are actually a LOT of features in Vista that were not present in XP. Kohlman then said none of those features were "interesting".

Well, they're VERY interesting to an XP user, just like having running hot and cold water is very interesting to a citizen of Outer Slobbovia. So if you want to continue with your analogy, Roy is saying "there is no compelling reason to upgrade from an old-style Slobbovia home to a new-style Slobbovia home, unless you like newer wallpaper", and I'm replying "Actually, there is: Running hot and cold water." To which Kohlmann replies "That's not an interesting feature".

So if Kohlmann and Roy are correct, then citizens of Slobbovia should NOT upgrade their homes. If I am correct, the citizens SHOULD upgrade their homes if they can afford it. Actually, a more ideal solution would be to emigrate out of Slobbovia to a first world country, but this is not feasible for all the citizens of Slobbovia. There are some things the Slobbovians simply don't wish to leave behind. Some of them are too entrenched with the Slobbovian way of thinking to make it very far in any other country. And some citizens actually have patriotic love for their home country, and do not wish to emigrate.

Okay, so those who emigrate to the land of the free might have a better quality of life. Fine. But what about those who stay (whether by choice, or due to the circumstances)? Do you think they would REALLY be better off by sticking with their old style houses? Or do you think there might actually be a "compelling reason for an upgrade"?

- Oliver