Re: Surprise! EU hates Microsoft

  • Subject: Re: Surprise! EU hates Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:44:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 20 September 2006 20:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Larry Qualig
> <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on 20 Sep 2006 07:18:22 -0700
> <1158761902.751723.327030@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>From Fool.com (Motley Fool)
>>
>> <quote>
>> Microsoft's antitrust woes with the EU are old news by now, as is the
>> EU's pigheaded, danged-if-you-do, danged-if-you-don't stance on
>> non-issues such as uncoupling Windows Media Player from the OS.
>
> Yes, the bastards.  They should instead just roll over and accept
> the New Reality(tm), which is of course Microsoft Windows Vista(tm).
> It'll Fix Everything(tm).

It'll also increase the capacity of spambots (or Windows PC's if you prefer
to think of them as innocent, user-facing apparatuses).

> The EU is so priggish in requiring that the market be level, isn't it?
>
>> Turned
>> out no one wanted that stripped-down version of the OS over there, but
>> why let facts get in the way of protectionist zeal?)
>>
>> The Catch-22 for Microsoft is that security is a huge deal to
>> consumers. And, truth be told, the beta versions of its latest security
>> tools for Vista -- such as Windows Defender -- are much better
>> integrated than the patchwork of third-party stuff that used to muck up
>> my machine. But by creating more robust tools to better serve
>> consumers' demand for security, Microsoft may run afoul of European
>> regulators.
>>
>> Alas, it's not the only double standard under which Mr. Softy is forced
>> to labor. A few days ago, I noticed a story about a certain widely used
>> Internet browser that, according to the source, contained "611 defects
>> and 71 potential security vulnerabilities."
>
> All of which are false, of course.  Most SPAM is sent by compromised
> Linux machines.  As proof, one can look at the correlation between SPAM
> output and Linux adoption.  :-)  As more Linux boxes are adopted, the
> amount of SPAM increases....

*LOL*

>> Should have been front-page news, right? Well, it wasn't, and I'm
>> guessing the reason the press didn't pick up on it was that the browser
>> was Firefox.
>
> Ah, well in that case, one needs to replace Firefox with
> IE pronto.  This is easily done.
>
> http://www.ies4linux.com/
>
> Note that this is strictly legal only for dual-boot systems.

I opine that it should be illegalised altogether. Internet Explorer is an
open door to a full system compromise, primarily due to ActiveX controls.
This contaminates the WWW.