Re: [News] Penguins are Born in Munich Every Day, Bergen and Vienna to Join

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 21:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:31:33 +0100
> <2591483.VDcb18oA9R@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Munich Begins to Switch Windows Out for Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Since Tuesday, the first 100 of the city?s 14,000 PCs have been switched
>> | from Microsoft?s Windows operating system and Office applications to
>> | Linux and OpenOffice.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | The configuration is based on Linux Distribution Debian GNU/Linux 3.1,
>> | the KDE 3.5 user interface and OpenOffice 2.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | In September, the Norwegian city decided to focus on building an
>> | e-government portal first and later migrate its Windows-based systems to
>> | a Linux environment.
>> |
>> | Vienna is another big European city with ambitious plans to roll out
>> | Linux in its public administration.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25009
>>
>> It's ironic that the next version of Windows (after Vista) is intended to
>> be called Vienna, IIRC.
>
> I thought it was Blackcomb.  Of course the way Marketing
> departments usually operate who the hell knows what the
> internal project name is this week? :-)

I had to quickly check the archives. Here's the article/blog item I had in
mind.

Will Windows Vista's Delay Push Back 'Fiji'?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

        http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1948571,00.asp

--
You can never get nine women to deliver a baby in a month
Tasks: 123 total,   2 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie