Re: Now who is in control? ...

__/ [ Richard Rasker ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 10:30 \__

> ... or: "Ignore the Big Picture, Focus on Little Things"
>
> Now, who is in control of the aesthetics of your computer, what it looks
> like, how it behaves, what sounds are played? With Linux, the answer is
> you, you, and you. With Windows, it used to be Microsoft, Microsoft, and
> you. Well, with Vista, you can strike the last "you" as well. At least as
> far as the startup sound is concerned:

It's trademarking and visual identity. Serves the owner right. The O/S is for
you to use, but rarely to customise or control. That's what closing the
source code, for example, is all about.

You are given a choice: pick black or dark black, as long as it's black.

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2341

>  "the word from Microsoft is that their intention is to roll a
>   non-customizable startup sound into Vista."
>
>  "My favorite part of Microsoft's excuse for this is that the startup
>   sound is a spiritual part of their branding experience, and therefore,
>   it should be heard by one and all."
>
> That's just great! So people are expected to flock to a new OS that, for
> the vast majority of users and developers alike, means a very serious
> downgrade not just in performance, but in control as well ... and all in
> the name of an intensified brainwas^H^H^H^H "Branding Experience".

I like the brainwash analogy/interpretation. I reiterate it quite often, but
I sometimes feel like it's being missed by most who surround me. Microsoft
is the king of brainswash and with a budget of 900 million dollars for Vista
advertisements and promotion alone, one can see the bigger picture. It's
obvious where much of that money that you pay for a licence goes to, apart
from those Swiss bank account.

> I wonder with what "innovation" of this kind Microsoft comes up next?
> The "Vista" logo, slowly blinking on and off in 96-point semi-transparent
> type all over the screen all the time? Or the logo watermarked in barely
> visible graytones on each and every document you print? And oh, Microsoft
> no doubt will offer a subscription service, where this behaviour can be
> turned off, for a modest $50 or so annually ...

I think a certain point is missed here. Apple does something similar as
consistency and boundaries have their merits too. It's a tradeoff and I
suspect that /this/ is what layering of option is for. KDE is easy to use.
But it can /still/ be extended as desired since advanced, fine-level
controls are placed apart.

> In ten year's time, you'll probably be expected to pay $5,000 for a
> lifetime Vista SP3 license, with the 25-character registration key
> plus Vista logo tattooed on your forehead ... and pledge to recite
> "Vista is Great Software" six times a day, facing in the direction of
> Redmond ...

Okay. Now you're being dramatic. *smile*

> But really, one of the very first things half the users of a newly
> bought and/or installated computer do, is changing the sounds and
> wallpapers. And yes, that definetely includes the startup sound.
> Only a true idiot or dictator would take away that freedom.

This reminds me of car salesman. Under that thin and shiny coating lies a
very fragile car that will require a lot of garage work. And it will only do
the most basic things while consuming gasoline in the least efficient way.
It keeps the oil companies, steel industry, and mechanics happy(ier). It's a
waste culture that encourages employment that is associated with
maintenance, rather than extension and self-improvement.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reclaim your workstation - install GNU/Linux today
roy      pts/1        cg001a.halls.man Thu Sep 21 14:54   still logged in