Re: [News] Proof that Windows is Not Ready for the Desktop

  • Subject: Re: [News] Proof that Windows is Not Ready for the Desktop
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:30:44 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:30:33 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:05:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Switching from KDE to WinXP
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| You probably do not use your computer in the same way I use mine. That
>>| is exactly why a rich and configurable feature set is so important --
>>| everyone will have different situations, different preferences, and
>>| different ways of using their computers. A feature-rich, configurable
>>| desktop like KDE allows people to work how they want to work. The MS
>>| Windows XP desktop is more of a "one size fits all" or "any color as long
>>| as it is black" desktop. One with limited features. Some people may not
>>| mind that; I do. Surprisingly, I have yet to find any feature in WinXP
>>| that made me say "Wow! I wish KDE could do that."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.osugisakae.com/writings/lin2winxp/linux2winxp_1.html
>>
>> Very detailed, well-reasoned, and filled with screenshots to serve as backing
>> proof.
>
> Ok, but the reverse is also true.  I've never seen a feature in KDE that
> made me say "I wish XP could do that".  In fact, I can't think of a feature
> of KDE that XP can't do, either natively or with an add-in.

So XP supports ssh in the filebrowser now? sftp too? cool. What add-on
do I need for that? it should do so with ssh-keys of course.

Pop an audio CD in the drive, fire up konqueror, select the audio cd
browser from the services tab. There's your CD, as expected. There also
are directories for the ogg files, the mp3 files, Flac, CDA. Any info on
the CD, the whole CD as an ogg, flac, mp3, etc. How do I do that with
windows explorer? what add ons do I need? I can drag an mp3 off the
disc, to my music dir, and it's ripped from the CD as easy as that. What
add-on offers that for Windows explorer?

just a couple that I find quite limiting on XP.

If you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you
    --Benjamin Franklin