[News] Choose Vista, Reduce Productivity

Vista slower than XP at start-up, shutdown, gripe users

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista users are complaining on Microsoft Corp.'s support
| forums about long start-up, shutdown and application load times
| compared with Windows XP.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9015905&source=rss_news50
http://tinyurl.com/364c9z

On a related note, Vista still does not handle de/fragmentation
automatically.

The fastest way to defragment your hard-drive

,----[ Quote ]
| Many are saying that Microsoft said it is unnecessary to defragment NTFS.
| While that may be true, many are noticing an increase in performance once
| they defrag their system, including myself. This article is a tutorial on
| how to speed up the defragmentation process, not one that is asking you to
| defragment your drive if you don't think you need to. To defragment or not
| to defragment is entirely up to you. Sorry for all those confused.
`----

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/15/defragment/

It is amazing that after 5-6 years of work, the O/S is still unable to manage
its own filesystem properly. To an enterprise, this means wasted time.
People do not do what they ought to be doing, which is to do real work
(rather than reboot, defrag, and sometimes disinfect/wipe).

Related:

My View: Vista Takes Too Many Clicks to do the Job

,----[ Quote ]
| I think in this case Microsoft engineers really missed the mark
| in this regard and I'll write more soon about similar issues
| with too many keystrokes in Office 2007.
`----

http://byronmiller.typepad.com/byronmiller/2007/03/my_view_vista_t.html

Vista Irritations

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this Slashdot article, copying, moving and deleting
| files is slower under Vista. At least now I know why extracting a
| compressed file under Vista is like watching paint dry/grass grow
| (I've only tried using Winzip 11).
|
| [...]
|
| Now we name our directory and it?s done right? Not quite, because
| after typing your directory name and pressing enter, it's time
| for yet more prompts...
`----

http://harrisben.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/vista-irritations/

Vista: Slow and Dangerous

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the time I spent testing Vista was with sluggish pre-release
| versions. I expected things to improve when I ran the finished software
| on PCs configured for the new Windows version. I now realize that
| Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
| Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
| recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
| you want snappy performance.
|
| [...]
|
| The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security
| feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple
| ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation,
| appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows...
`----

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/BusinessWeek/2007/03/26/3124001

Copying files across LAN with Vista is deathly slow

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/109009593831

Copying files across LAN with Vista is deathly slow

,----[ Quote ]
| Copying files from my XP video capture pc to my Vista pc is 3 times
| slower than copying from my XP video capture PC to my old XP PC.
`----

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/109009593831

The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files from a server
on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer

,----[ Quote ]
| On a Windows Vista-based computer, when you try to copy files from a
| server on a network, the copy process may stop responding (hang), and
| you may receive a message that resembles the following:
|
| Calculating Time Remaining
|
| 0 minutes remaining

Your expense = my revenue

,----[ Quote ]
| "Windows is a money making machine for everyone involved" - but
| describing it as really a kind of work for welfare scheme in which
| everyone wins -except the customer to whom it's a cost, and the
| national economy for which it's a productivity sink.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=803

Analyst slams Vista's 'backward' UI

,----[ Quote ]