Re: [News] US Army Uses A Lot of Red Hat Linux

> Conference Highlights Open Technology Adoption within Defense and
> Intelligence Systems
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "When we rolled into Baghdad, we did it using open source," General
> | Justice continued. "It may come as a surprise to many of you, but the
> | U.S. Army is "the" single largest install base for Red Hat Linux.
> | I'm their largest customer."
> `----
>
> http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=17056&trv=1
>

> Related:
>
> Army Seeks to Catalyze Open Source Intelligence
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A new U.S. Army Field Manual is intended to advance the development
> | and use of open source intelligence (OSINT), which is intelligence
> | that is derived from publicly available data legally obtained.
> `----
>
> http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/2007/01/army_seeks_to_catalyze_open_so.html
>

> A Network Appliance Platform for Linux Applications at the US Department of
> Defense
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | U.S. military requirements for network devices are growing more and
> | more demanding, making a flexible Linux-based platform the foundation
> | of choice.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/012207-dod-linux.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
>

> High-integrity software is key topic at 2007 Military Technologies Conference
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Following Tokar will be Redge Bartholomew, engineering manager at Rockwell
> | Collins on "Static Analysis as an Example Approach to High Integrity Open
> | Source Software."
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | "Why High Integrity Software Requires Open Source Tools," is the
> | presentation of the module's last speaker, Robert Dewar, president and
> | chief executive officer of AdaCore.
> `----
>
> http://mae.pennnet.com/display_article/285223/32/NEWS/none/none/High-integrity-software-is-key-topic-at-2007-Military-Technologies-Conference/
>

> Department of Defense Releases Open Technology Development Roadmap
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | According to OSSI, "OTD methodology will enable DoD organizations
> | and contractors to rapidly adapt and extend existing software capabilities
> | to a specific vendor or held hostage to proprietary technologies."
> `----
>
> http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/07/233257&from=rss

Actually no, it doesn't surprise me at all, after Gary (Solo) McKinnon
raped the US defence systems, by installing RemotelyAnywhere (Windows
software) on them, and using it without detection for an entire year.

Maybe now they've learned their lesson.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2307.fc5
 17:55:09 up  6:36,  2 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.05, 0.07