Re: As Time Goes By, Far Fewer People Want Windows Vista

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 02:03:57 +0000, thad01 wrote:

<snip interesting analysis>

> I don't have a problem with those ratios, but I can understand if
> some people want to see fewer MS related posts.  By all means lets
> have a discussion about that... but a discussion about posting
> guidelines, not the personal character of the posters.

I agree. Slinging insults, fun as it might be at times, tends to obscure
what's really important that needs discussing if we want to make this
group a genuinely useful place for advocacy.

> Thoughts?

The charter says we should advocate Linux. I don't think this is possible
without sometimes mentioning MS/Windows or MacOS, since these are the
platforms users coming to Linux will be likely to have used/be using, and
we must have something to compare Linux to. It's hard to advocate in a
vacuum.

What's not helpful is the amount of childish denigration that goes on.
HNOw can it ever advance the uptake of Linux to called Vista 'Pista' or
'Fista'? It's just stupid, playground nonsense, which should have been
*left* in the playground. It puts out entirely the wrong message.

Is anyone really going to trust the opinion of someone who calls Windows
'windopz'? I think not. At least Roy, for all his faults, largely avoids
such stupidity.

Windows has faults, OS X has faults - and Linux also has faults. Windows
and OS X also have virtues, and to pretend otherwise is not only
dishonest, but foolish, since the users of these platforms have no reason
to believe they are any less intelligent than Linux users, and they are
just going to say, 'You're talking bollocks' and move on.

Saying 'I think Windows is crap, and this is why', is one thing. Saying
'Windows *is* crap, and anyone who disagrees is an idiot', is quite
another. The same should apply to Linux.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticise Windows. Exaggeration
should not be required.

--
Kier