Re: what companies would you put in a Linux investment portfolio?

  • Subject: Re: what companies would you put in a Linux investment portfolio?
  • From: mike <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:50:55 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 05:00:31 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ mike ] on Thursday 05 April 2007 04:12 \__
>
>> i'd think a linux investment portfolio would include these:
>>
>> RHAT  Redhat (fedora)
>> NOVL  Novell (suse)
>> LNUX  VA Software (developer network)
>>
>> although since NOVL made a deal with the devil, perhaps it would be better
>> to short it (profit from decline) ?
>

> Consider the following comment from last night:
> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/04/01/the-fsf-giveth-and-linus-taketh-away/#comment-504
>
> Combine this with the speculations about a long-term MSFT-NOVL takeover and
> all your are left with is Red Hat.

that's interesting, it would make figuring out where to invest easier.

> At least some Open Source companies like sourcefire and MySQL are likely to
> be IPO'd soon, with Trolltech already there (in Oslo only). And the
> whole Novell thing is just a speculation. However, as it implodes with
> the demise of its legacy products, an acquisition could be just petty
> cash for Microsoft. But will they want to compete against Red Hat with
> MSSUSE? Whatever happens, just remember: Microsoft plays dirty.

my money would be on msft just killing corporate-backed suse (although as
i understand it the non-corporate suse will live on (fork) regardless of
what happens to novl).  and i don't think the developer network at VA
software would stick around very long under management by microvell
regardless of what the company wanted to do with them.

>> what other companies stand to gain the most if Linux really takes off,
>> especially on the desktop ?
>>
>> IBM & ORCL perhaps, but they're already so large that i'm not sure the
>> LNUX portion of revenue would make a big impact.
>>
>> and at some point i think MSFT should definitely be shorted, although the
>> timing on that might be a bit early at this point.
>>
>> any thoughts?
>

> SAP and Oracle are goners in the long term (decade), IMHO, unless they go
> open source and make money through services for a superior product which has
> no lockins. IBM and GOOG will face competition overseas. A lot of it... the
> question about inheriting of the global economy mainly involves India
> (software services) and China (primarily hardware). The fact that visa
> quotas in the States ran out within a day is idicative of this. Also
> consider INTC... decided to fire 10,000 last year and now intends to build a
> $2.5 billion factory in China... NOVL is certifying centres in India... IBM
> axed 13,000 jobs in Europe last year, later to create 14,000 jobs in India.

whatever happens to the big players, i don't see any of them yielding big
returns from a large growth in linux marketshare so i'm not as interested
in them as any new smaller players that get involved.  unfortunately most
companies that i've run across that look promising are private.  just have
to keep waiting & watching...