The Linux Community

Not so long ago hardocp.com posted a really great article called "30
Days With Linux".  It was a relatively balanced look at Ubuntu by
someone who actually used it exclusively for 30 days.  I think Roy
even posted about this when it came out, but I only just read it.
I'm only commenting now because I found some of the site's forum
comments rather interesting.  Despite the article pulling no punches
when it came some of the rough patches in Ubuntu, the reader response
was overwhelmingly positive.  Many forum posts expressed interest in
Ubuntu and a desire to give it a try, some even considering it as a
Vista alternative.  I particularly liked this excerpt from one rather
long post:

  Finally, I'd like to say that for years I've heard people
  complain about the attitude of Linux users for years and how
  they never could get any help. Whether this was ever actually
  true or not, it definitely isn't the case now. I've had people
  more than willing to help me and walk me through anything step
  by step. I may still have some trouble explaining my problem but
  I have yet to find someone lose patience with me. They will ask
  me to do something specific to get the information they need
  to figure out the problem. At that point, they are more than
  willing to give me a solution. I've seen so many people continue
  to be nice and helpful even after it's obvious the person asking
  for help is way over their head. Sometimes there will be a nasty
  comment from a Linux user about the person asking for help,
  but it's never someone that actually helps and that person is
  usually told to stfu and go away so someone can be helped.

This generally aligns with my experiences in the Linux community.
It certainly is a different picture than some of the, shall we say,
less Linux friendly posters in this group would have us believe.
COLA can certainly be bit more boisterous than most forums, but the
actual tech and help forums are usually a notch more on to the
civilized side.

The "30 Days With Linux" article can be found at:

  http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI5OCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

The writer also followed up with a "30 Days With Vista" article:

  http://consumer.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjUwNDMsLCxoY29uc3VtZXIsLCwx

Both are an interesting read.

Enjoy,

Thad