Re: [News] More Key Figures Quitly Move On, Leave Microsoft

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 05 April 2007 11:35 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> Is this good or bad we have to wonder, from MS's point of view that is.
>
>> A Whole Lotta Movin' On! [at Microsoft]
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> |     * As has Jenny Lam of Vista UX.
>
> It must be very tempting to dump the entire Vista team at this time. It's a
> disaster, the team's leaders would have to get the boot anyway for such a
> bad attempt. Ballmer, how much of the troubles rest on his shoulders, well
> you can't help feeling that it will be a lot of the troubles. Did he give
> them enough time, it looks like the answer to that is 'no', did he give
> them enough resources, I don't know the answer to that, but I know that if
> you reduce the time you must increase the resources to compensate, but that
> will top out to a point where no more resources will help the situation and
> only time will do. Could he have stopped the disastrous Vista OS going out
> of the door knowing that it wouldn't work? That has to be his
> responsibility.
>

>> Microsoft Search Leader To Leave Company
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The Microsoft Corp. vice president who led the company's push into
>> | Internet search is leaving the software giant as the effort he
>> | helped launch loses ground against lead competitor Google Inc.
>> `----
>>

> Let him go, he didn't get the search engine even remotely comparable to
> Google and some of the other engines. The results in MS search are always
> pathetic compared to the others. So let this bloke go and get someone who
> knows what they are doing.
>
> Had MS search been good Google wouldn't have stood a chance, simply because
> MS search is already onboard and easy for users to get at. It failed
> because it isn't a good product.
>

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Blake Irving, a Corporate Vice President in Microsoft's Windows
>> | Live Platform group, is resigning his post, according to sources
>> | close to the company.
>> `----
>>

> This is the one, out of all on the list Blake is the only one who has had
> success, so chances are he is moving on to take advantage of the nice new
> entry in his CV. Fair play to him, go for the money mate, companies come
> and go but your morgage never goes away.
>

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
>> | and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
>> | game console business and the introduction of its Internet
>> | Protocol television software.
>> `----
>>

> Let him go, Zune was a flop and the Xbox360 isn't doing too well.
>

> If I was Mr MS then I must say that had these folk not been leaving I would
> be droping hints to them such as a note on their office door saying
> something like 'Go home dimwit'.

I'm not sure, however, that bringing a replacement from pretty much nowhere
is an idea that would work. They need to know the team, the product, the
strategy... there's already a managerial mess because of all the voids that
are endlessly created. You get communication gaps. And it shows. Mind you,
the Zune was incompatible with Vista upon arrival. How ironic is that?

> But then what, do you take on more executives to put things right, is good
> polytechnic business skills what MS need at the moment, I would say no to
> that. Instead put that particular wage packet into some good strong
> programming/development teams, preferably teams that are already
> established.
>
> Slash-n-burn is all very well, until you need a bit of wood for the fire or
> realise the ground that you are uncovering will only manage one years
> crops, what do you do next year? We all know what MS needed to do in their
> slash-n-burn period was to take those companies and keep the people, not
> just the bits of paper with bits of code written on them. It's the people
> who wrote that code you needed to keep. And that is what I would do with MS
> now, I would build those teams of 'people', designers, coders, humanisers.
>
> Then I know that I could recover MS's past glory.
>
> MS wont do that though, instead we will watch the squirming in the mud, the
> tides gone out and they can't find their way back into the water. I don't
> like to see this and I wish it wasn't happening, but I really can not see
> how they can survive, unless maybe, Ballmer takes a dive and lets someone
> else take over, is Dr Eric Schmidt available?

Just don't let these two guys share (or chair) a room. ;-)

> humanisers? That popped in my head as I wrote it, because in MS's peak time
> with Win98, I remembered that MS had done many a serious study on the human
> interface, it made up a huge document, I had it in print form at one time.
> It went through many areas including colours, keyboards, mice, lighting and
> too many for me to remember. They took that report seriously and many of
> the best parts of Win98 (I presume NT too at the time) benefitted from it.

When you're ahead of the game, you lack creativity, I think. Eventually,
after the 'reboot', they did a rush job trying to copy OS X. BTW, subject
line should say "quietly". I keep an eye on the headlines, but it's easy to
see that some people leave without affecting morale. Mini-microsoft is an
anonymous insider that Microsoft is trying to expose. S/he does them _a lot_
of damage_ by exposing the trouble inside the dome.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.