[News] Linux and Apache Serve As Free Software Role Models, Bruce Perens Strikes Back at Microsoft

Open Source Technologies are Paving New Channel Inroads

,----[ Quote ]
| In general, resistance among customers to open source solutions is
| dropping rapidly due to the ongoing success of Linux and Apache,
| which have proven that an open-source approach to core
| infrastructure software can work.
`----

http://www.channelinsider.com/article/Open+Source+Technologies+are+Paving+New+Channel+Inroads/204656_1.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/yqa3xc

Open Source Parking Spoofing Headers to Benefit Apache

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Parking was formed last year by Linux evangelist Bruce
| Perens to counter a 5 percent market share gain by Microsoft in the
| April 2006 survey, when domain registrar Go Daddy shifted 4.5 million
| parked domains from Linux to Windows Server 2003. The project's goals
| are to increase the market share for open source software and generate
| revenue from advertising on the parked domains to fund political
| efforts on behalf of the open source community. While parked domains
| can be challenging to track accurately, there is no evidence that the
| effort has made any impact on web server market share.
|
| [...]
|
| Perens downplayed the significance of Microsoft's market share gains
| because they relied upon parked domains. "This is an 'appearance'
| change only, because the sites involved have no content," he wrote
| in announcing the service. "But managers believe figures like those
| in the Netcraft report, and act on them."
`----

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/04/04/open_source_parking_spoofing_headers_to_benefit_apache.html

Related:

Apache with over 73% real market share.

December 2006 Security Space Survey Results

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Space estimates that nearly 90 percent of all Web sites
| are "orphans" to which no other sites link. Its Web server survey
| therefore counts only those servers referenced on other sites.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3652421

Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]