Re: EU-wide patent system ..

  • Subject: Re: EU-wide patent system ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 07:58:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 03 April 2007 22:20 \__

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/business/technology/17020308.htm

>> The most telling part of that report, "EU governments and the European
>> Parliament have to approve the plan before it can take effect."
>>
>> Software patents have no legal standing in the UK and according to the
>> email I and many others received from the Prime Ministers office after I
>> signed an e-petition there are no plans to make them so. There are
>> elements within the EU commission that would like to see software patents
>> certainly but even with their FUD they are getting nowhere as far as I can
>> tell within the UK.
>
> The corrupt pro-patent lobbyists will continue pushing though, since
> they have nothing to lose, and plenty of our money to keep fighting with.

It'll get worse than patenting maths and methods (business or algorithm),
unless something is done by innocent sufferers. Then, taxation on exchange
of information (such as the above) will be targetted, to avoid better
understanding. Haven't they just muted Internet radio while working on a
tiered Web (meaning: a corporate-owned CNN pWns all people, i.e. blogs)? How
long before search engines continue to narrow down their results to promote
their own interests and that of the government (whoever controls its
strings)? At the moment, Google and Microsoft sort of work together on
elimination of a few communication rivals and I loathe the idea of these
companies as middlemen in information delivery.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Mandriva & Fedora - Gotta love them girls
roy      pts/3                         Wed Apr  4 02:44 - 02:44  (00:00)