Re: Ubuntu just works ..

__/ [ Linuxiac <"at yahoo.com "> ] on Monday 02 April 2007 22:00 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Gordon ] on Monday 02 April 2007 18:37 \__

>>> CD. I didn't count the updates AFTER installation - they are not
>>> technically speaking, part of the initial installation....
>>
>> Some say it takes just 15 minutes.
>>
> The variations in Linux installs are due to many factors that start with
> the hardware.  An install of PCLINUXOS on a PII 350Mhz system takes me
> 40 minutes.
>
> On my Dell Dimension 4100 (curbside donation) PIII 933mhz system, it
> took about 25 minutes.
>
> "updates" are synaptic downloads of new games, programs, not normally
> included on the CD.  There are 5500 to choose from... Plenty for most
> needs.

And for a valid comparison, one ought to see how long it takes to install a
stripped-down Ubuntu with nothing but gedit and the equivalent of paint.exe
and solitare.exe. Ubuntu contains a lot more than an operating system that
most people install and use as the 'gold standard'.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
roy      pts/3                         Mon Apr  2 08:50 - 08:50  (00:00)