[News] GNU/Linux Already Runs on the Apple TV

Linux is running on APPLE TV

,----[ Quote ]
| I've got the linux kernel booting on my Apple TV. It was not easy,
| but after reading over the information on how they got it workin on
| the mac mini, I was finally able to figure out how to make it work
| on the ATV also.
|
| There are sevral changes that need to be made to the lilo bootloader
| just to get it to boot the kernel. It does not boot fully into linux
| yet, but it gets pretty far before giving a kernel panic. There are
| still a lot of drivers missing that will need to be compiled in to
| get it to boot up all the way, but this is a start.
`----

http://www.appletvbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61

Related:

AppleTV could the perfect MythTV Frontend

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's new AppleTV sounds like the perfect hardware to use for a
| MythTV Frontend, or other similar device. It's an Intel based device
| that includes a 40GB hard drive and a high end selection of video out
| ports. I'd venture a guess that it probably has a MPEG decoding chip
| hiding in there as well.
|
| Linux (and mythfrontend) are crying out to be loaded onto this device.
`----

http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/AppleTV/linux.html

Apple TV hacked already

,----[ Quote ]
| Enthusiasts from Something Awful forum were annoyed by the general
| lack of third party movie support for Apple's latest product, Apple
| TV - and went on to create something useful with it. Awkward and
| Sabretooth modified Apple's little box and got it working with
| Xvid files with no problems.

Hacking Linux onto your 360 just got a wee bit easier

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/30/hacking-linux-onto-your-360-just-got-a-wee-bit-easier/
http://tinyurl.com/yp63kd