Re: [News] Interview with Novell CTO

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 02 April 2007 09:31 \__

>> Nat Friedman: "Flamewars are part of the community culture"
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| derStandard.at: Given the strong negative reactions lot's of people
>>| in the community showed to the Microsoft deal, do you think it'll
>>| get more difficult for Novell to get their stuff upstream?
>>|
>>| Nat Friedman: I haven't seen that until now, I mean there have
>>| always been flamewars in the Linux community, it's part of the
>>| community culture. Sure there are consequences for Novell in the
>>| community resulting from the deal, we have seen that, but not in
>>| the respect that someone says "Well, Novell as a business did this
>>| agreement with Microsoft, so we won't accept their patches". And
>>| most of that negative sentiments don't seem to come from the
>>| people who accept patches anyway, they come from people who have
>>| a sort of "professional commentator" role in the community.
>> `----
>>
>> http://derstandard.at/?id=2827627&_index=0
>
> That's a really good FUD technique - you criticise the people who are
> pointing out that what you have done is wrong, by claiming that they
> "don't matter".  This guy is one of the most revolting people I've come
> across - he should be idea for Microsoft should they actually buy-out
> Novell (April fool jokes noted!).

Yes, that is precisely the same point that I made when I wrote about it in
Boycott Novell (latest item). They simply ignore or disregard those who
criticise, just like their friends at Redmond. Maybe vanity is infectious.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
Swap:  1036184k total,   579556k used,   456628k free,    34436k cached