Re: What do you (Linux Users) think of ipod?

  • Subject: Re: What do you (Linux Users) think of ipod?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 07:57:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Sunday 01 April 2007 07:15 \__

> dorothydax@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I don't have an ipod. In fact the only portalable music player I have
>> is a walkman from 90s --- okay don't laugh! For mp3 I mostly use
>> mplayer, and xmms ;)
>>
>> Anyway, I can't imagine buying an ipod.
>>
>> My reasons:
>>
>> Can't replace battery -- like a conventional remote control
>> Can't replace memory - or upgrade!
>> NO USB support
>> No recording feature
>> No radio
>> Finally, too expensive for semi-middle class.
>>
>> Most people would never buy a laptop, cellphone, or even a universal
>> remove control from a company that makes it difficult to replace dying
>> batteries, or storage devices. Why are so many people buying ipod,
>> even though it's doing everything detested by public?
>
> Ipod is a nice looking piece of equipment. However, it is grossly
> overpriced given the features - more than 2 times over comparable hardware
> (many of which do not suffer from the problems you list). And I do not feel
> like paying twice as much for better looks.
>
> My $40 mp3 player/fm radio / USB disk / voice recorder does everything and
> more than a $200 ipod nano.
>
> Why do people go for it ? You can sell anything with slick marketing, even
> Microsoft Crapware.

It's not just marketing. It's also cattle effect (it's a gross generalisation
I'll admit). If so many people choose an iPod, then...

Of course, that's also the reason celebs on TV get paid to be shown using a
MacBook or whatever...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
Tasks: 136 total,   2 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   8 zombie