Re: FLOP - Microsoft's new super computing standard

__/ [ p5000011@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 01 April 2007 04:21 \__

> It was only a matter of time. Microsoft couldn't let Linux dominate
> the super computing market. After years of research and development
> Microsoft have announced their new super computer cluster. Running on
> 1024 Xeon 4 GHz processors each with 4GB memory and the new VistaFSCK
> (TM) OS aided by their unique non-parallel programming environment
> named .not, Microsoft have redefined the standard. Achieving a
> sustained .0000000000001 teraFLOPS Microsoft want to have this new
> standard call FLOP.
>
> A Microsoft spokesperson was willing to answer our questions on this
> remarkable breakthrough in super computing but stated his Word
> document wouldn't be converted to print format for another
> 3.1415926535 days.
> Just think what this means to the industry as a whole he said. The HW
> manufacturers will benefit enormously from sales of PC clusters.
> Within a decade everyone will need a cluster in their home, office
> workplace. Microsoft innovation yet again leads the way.
>
> So there we have it. A new era has arrived. We can expect this
> technology to spread through all Microsoft's OS offerings such as
> DesktopFSCK, EmbeddedFSCK, XBoxFSCK and BackPackWirelessFSCK.
>
> The spokesperson added Microsoft are going back to the good old
> American way: big is beautiful.
>
> Will the FLOP keep Microsoft at the top? Only time will tell. There
> are rumours that a new techology based on thermionic tubes (valves to
> the educated) may be a major threat to Microsoft's technology
> breakthrough.

Their endevour if a joke, if not a disaster. Before deciding to retire, Gates
realised the huge importance of grids (particularly in the long term). This
also happens to relate to their war against Google and SaaS. After major
delays and a great deal of problems, they released what can only be
described as an abysmal alpha that performs very badly.

Linux and High-Performance Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| So where does Windows fit in?
|
| Windows has a lot to offer design engineers, especially those with
| more limited resources or goals. UNIX still has a lot to offer for
| many legacy HPC applications. Both Windows and UNIX require more
| work to be able to deliver the same functionality and compelling
| price-performance value of Linux. The HPC market is more open and
| competitive than it has ever been, but for design engineers focusing
| on solving their design challenges, it's clear that Linux is still
| the best choice for today and the foreseeable future.
`----

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6421353.html

Oil and Gas Industry Prefers Personal HPC Capacity, Says Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft only had a brief moment on the Top 500 supercomputer list before
| the machine was rebooted as a Linux cluster last fall.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=B2413430-EEAF-455C-9D85-706DC25D148D

Here is my own testimony, posted a few months ago:

"...Been in a meeting just a moment ago. It was comical.

Some folks have decided to experiment with Microsoft's latest ultimate super
ultra high-processor/computing offer. Guess what?

The computational server can -- for whatever reason -- accept only two
connections at the time. To make matters worse, one has to log off, so being
idle is out of the question. Even then, there are bugs that leave sessions
hanging, IIRC.

It gets worse.

40 nodes are available but sometimes only one is actually used. With two
users logged on, one would sometimes keep 39 nodes occupied while the other
gets just one.

I am told it's buggy. I am told it's unstable (even from people who favour
the use of Windows on the desktop). People who wanted to take this gamble
with Microsoft on the server are complaining and probably have regrets. "We
have informed Microsoft", they say, but what do they expect? Microsoft holds
the code and it's too arrogant to take care of bugs upon the customers'
demands (just look at Internet Explorer). Bill Gates, who is the mastermind
that insisted on releasing the product, will soon retire. The product was
released half-based after long delays.

Problems only on the server? You bet it ain't the case. A colleague of mine
is spending weeks (if not months) trying to run experiments on a Windows XP
laptop. Hibernation fails, jobs are crashing after long runtimes, and
certain movements of the laptop (e.g. the jerking in a car) lead to crashes
as well.

Thank you, Microsoft, for reminding people why software you produce is going
down the dustbin. It's better to produce a reliable desktop before deciding
to take entire clusters down."

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  6:00am  up 20 days 13:03,  6 users,  load average: 1.80, 1.33, 1.05