Re: [News] Missouri Auction Sells Used Equipment to Run GNU/Linux

On 2007-04-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> Auction sells used equipment at low cost
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Once a month, bargain hunters from all over the state pack a warehouse
>| just south of the MU campus, where the auctioneer makes his rounds as
>| more than 100 people follow close by.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| Solomon said Procurement Services has begun installing a free
>| operating system called Ubuntu Linux so patrons can purchase a
>| Web-ready system -- including a computer, monitor, keyboard,
>| mouse and speakers -- that doesn?t require any additional software
>| to get online.
> `----
>
> http://www.digmo.org/news/story.php?ID=25232

That's close enough to me that I might run over and take a peek
sometime in the next few months. I'll have to check on the next few
auctions to see if I can make one or more.

> This is happening in many places. Vista is doing us a big favour by being
> such a resource pig. More Linux PCs abound, and they are a bargain that can
> reach home that never had a PC before.

All I need is a modest machine being forced out of service by Vista. I
could certainly use something to replace the aging PC and 2 laptops I
have set up in the basement doing some work for me. It wouldn't take
much either.

If I could strike a bargain on some other machines, I might try
spreading those around the area instead of the tons of CDs I've been
giving away for 3 or more years now. Or maybe I'd do both.

--
VISTA: Virtually Impossible System To Access