[News] Does the $100 Laptop Mark a Revolution for Children?

One Revolution Per Child

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm excited about the OLPC machine?s potential because it's so
| clearly a revolutionary device, both in the sense of it having
| capabilities that nobody has ever before seen in a laptop, and in
| the sense it being a catalyst for out-of-control social transformation.
| The OLPC project will drop millions of powerful, deeply networked,
| information technology devices into the hands of precisely the
| population (children and teens) most likely to want to figure
| out the unanticipated uses.
`----

http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/cascio20070417/

$100 laptop project plugs kids into digital age

,----[ Quote ]
| OLPC designed the XO to be customizable and interactive so kids
| can experiment and fix their computer mistakes. The bright green
| and white casing is supposed to make the Linux-based XOs
| approachable for children, and fun. This design ethos extends
| to a "desktop" user interface where traditional icons are
| replaced by symbols, such as a drum to denote music, that
| Hassounah hopes all kids can understand.
`----

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/suntech/2007/apr/18/suntech-18-04-2007-001.htm
http://tinyurl.com/yupyxj

The OLPC unit is often being judged as something that it is not -- a business
laptop, ratther than an educational tool. Beware the lobbyists words on the
OLPC. There's apparently paid-for FUD (sprearheaded by Intel and Microsoft).

Related:

OLPC XO Test Build - Sugar Interface

,----[ Quote ]
| We've heard a lot about the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) project,
| which aims to provide a $100 laptop for developing nations, and
| we've heard a bit about its Sugar interface and other technical
| abilities, but recently we spent the time with QEMU and a test
| build of the OLPC XO operating system (Fedora based) to see how
| it really shapes up.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=682&num=1

Checking out the OLPC's "Sugar" desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea behind the OLPC laptop is to provide children with the
| opportunity to learn about learning itself -- to explore,
| experiment and express themselves, according to the OLPC. The
| laptops will be distributed in schools.

OLPC Sugar User Interface Reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| From a basic usability standpoint, we are very impressed. When you
| remember that OLPC is designed for young children in countries where
| access to computers is almost nonexistent, we believe that Sugar UI
| will fit the bill quite nicely.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2530&Itemid=449
http://tinyurl.com/3xn5g5

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/12/one-laptop-per-child-live-cd-sugar-os/

My Look At Sugar [One laptop per child]

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I have to say I'm really quite impressed with the environment.
| Sugar is very innovative and so easy to use and simple. I'm really
| looking forward to see how this product advances.
`----

http://www.steffanwilliams.co.uk/software/my-look-at-sugar

Experimental Sugar SDK LiveCD

,----[ Quote ]
| Right now the iso weighs in at 291Megs which means we have some
| room to work with in terms of adding applications which would
| make it easier to develop for the OLPC and the Sugar environment.
| I would like to know what people think those applications are.
`----

http://www.j5live.com/?p=349

Australia To Trial OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| In a surprise announcement, the government of the Northern Territory
| has announced that they are testing the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)
| machines with a view to launching trials in remote communities.
|
| The OLPC has been designed for children in the developing world, in
| regions that struggle for basic infrastructure like clean running
| water, and electricity. So it may come as a surprise to some that
| an Australian state government has put up a hand to trial the new
| laptops.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Australia_To_Trial_OLPC

Rwanda Commits to Low-Cost Laptop Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Rwanda is the eighth developing country to join the One Laptop
| Per Child initiative aimed at giving away inexpensive
| computers to all young students.

$100 laptop project eyes launch

,----[ Quote ]
| The first countries to sign up to buying the machine include
| Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Nigeria, Libya,
| Pakistan and Thailand.

Romania bites the OLPC bait!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, the Prime Minister of Romania (otherwise, an intelligent guy)
| fell for the One Laptop Per Child project.
|
| [...]
|
| In brief, the targeted audience is 1.2 million children, and the
| program is planned to be "operational" (what is this supposed to mean?!)
| on September 15.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2590&from=rss

Nigerian students power up their laptops

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6175025-1.html?part=rss&tag=6175025&subj=news