Re: [News] Microsoft Tries Forcing Move to a Windows-only World Wide Web

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 18 April 2007 03:15 \__

> Microsoft Releases Media Player for Firefox
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The plug-in, available on Firefox's add-on site, is compatible with
> | the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the XP SP2 and Vista OSes.
> `----
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070417/tc_pcworld/130816
>
> They want to encourage content providers to spread Windows Media Player and
> its proprietary codecs all over the Web.
>
> Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
> | finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
> | hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
> | wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
> | Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
> | multimedia over the Internet.
> `----
>
> http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry1418.html

More on the first:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/D3BFGBkvntrNlx/Microsoft-Throws-Firefox-a-Bone.xhtml

"The plug-in itself, according to Colin Teubner, an analyst at Forrester
Research, is not open source. "I think most people in the open source
community will see this as a pro-WMP move, not a pro-Firefox or pro open
source move by Microsoft," he told LinuxInsider. Microsoft, Teubner
speculated, has evidently decided that market dominance of WMP is not enough
to drive market dominance of Internet Explorer , previously the only browser
with embedded WMP. Therefore, to keep WMP as the dominant media format for
the Web, where it is threatened by Adobe Flash-based video, Microsoft needs
to make sure WMP is not limited to just Internet Explorer."

So a seemingly move to 'open' platforms turns out to be a double-play
intended to snub and eliminate Linux (and Mac?) users lock them out of
services/site. Antitrust? Haaalllllooooo........!

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
Swap:  1036184k total,   422400k used,   613784k free,    36876k cached