[News] Microsoft's Technical Problems Screw Developers, Destroy Work

CodePlex Information and Discussion

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3pm PDT on April 11th an operator error occurred that caused
| source control and issue tracker data on one of the Microsoft
| CodePlex servers to be accidentally overwritten. During the
| standard data recovery effort, a recovery backup configuration
| oversight was discovered in the routine backup process for this
| CodePlex server which is still impacting immediate restoration of
| some of the data.
`----

http://www.codeplex.com/CodePlex/Wiki/View.aspx?title=System%20Outage%20Report&referringTitle=Home
http://tinyurl.com/2ebbpd

Are developers supposed to take Microsoft seriously after such failures?

Related:

Hotmail deleted my account

,----[ Quote ]
| I can reactivate the account if I choose, but the ten years'
| worth of messages I had stored in there are gone forever.
|
| Who do they think I am George Bush?
|
| Thanks Microsoft.

Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
| deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
| become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
| error when you try to delete it.
`----

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2270/vista_what_to_do_when_you_cannot_delete_a_message_in_windows_mail

Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
| Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
| problems getting onto the services.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
| users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
| The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
| cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
| e-mail was laden with a virus.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6168629.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

U.S. judge orders Intel to try to recover e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
| Farnan gave Intel 30 days to recover as many of the missing e-mails
| as possible and to draw up a report on the steps it is taking to do
| so, Mulloy said.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070307:MTFH90775_2007-03-07_18-56-16_N06406049&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2fbanr

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two (Bob Cringely)

,----[ Quote ]
| "So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's
| hardware OEMs, which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
|
| The tape disappearance was blamed on HP, which  accepted the blame,
| and the employees directly involved kept expecting there to be
| repurcussions, especially legal ones.  They expected to be deposed by
| Burst lawyers.  But it never happened.
|
| This was, for Microsoft, a perfect ending. ..."
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

'---[ Quote ]
| In May 2004, Judge J. Frederick Motz ordered Microsoft to
| investigate Burst.com's claim that, in 2000, Allchin ordered
| Microsoft employees to destroy email after 30 days and not to
| archive their email, suggesting that this deletion policy
| might be an effort to eliminate material that would later be
| damaging in court. This case was settled out of court in March
| 2005, with Microsoft agreeing to pay Burst.com $60 million
| for nonexclusive rights to Burst.com's media player software.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

Bush team deletes embarrassing emails

,----[ Quote ]