Re: Is there a problem with Microsoft DNS?

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 15 April 2007 23:09 \__

> First I've seen of this. (presumably somebody scare-mongering?):-
>
> "The issue is a timely topic after Microsoft announced late Thursday that a
> vulnerability exists in its DNS server that could allow a hacker to take
> over the service"
>
> "Large ISPs typically run their DNS servers on Unix or Linux running Bind,
> Nominum or other software and not on Microsoft DNS services, so consumers
> would likely not be those most at risk, says Mockapetris, who is now the
> chief scientist for Nominum"
>
> "Corporations, on the other hand, do use Microsoft DNS either internally on
> intranets or as a pipeline to the Web"
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130728-c,onlinesecurity/article.html

Microsoft acknowledged there's a problem over the weekend. They have known
about it for quite some time, I think, but no fix.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, then learn how to knit
Tasks: 120 total,   1 running, 117 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie