Re: PS3 Linux

  • Subject: Re: PS3 Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:35:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 15 April 2007 09:08 \__

> Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> BearItAll wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering how PS3 and Linux were getting on, if any of you have
>>> tried it.
>>>

>> Linux isn't bad on a PS3, but it's not the super computer I was hoping
>> for. So, I haven't bought one yet. I'm still waiting to see if the cell
>> chip can be fully taken advantage of... that is... get all the spe's
>> cranking...
>>

> I'll have one up and running soon, and will report back.

Other than virtualising XP under PS3 Fedora, I wonder if it's possible to
create a hypervisor for the PS3's (modified) firmware and then run Linux in
a box, where it uses just a fraction of the overall capacity. Couple play
games while surfing the Web in another window. It's a rather radical
thought, but I'm sure that if Sony had financial incentives, they would put
effort into making PS3 Linux more attractive. They have already submitted
patched to 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz     | No Makefile, no business