[News] Apple Software Patents Cripple Linux Eye Candy

Check out the following thread:

http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?p=7365#7365

"Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that patch illegal because Apple
has an patent on this effect? Confused At least its illegal in the US,
not in Europe (afaik we don't have software patents yet)."

More patent BS:

Microsoft mugged over VC-1 codec patent terms

,----[ Quote ]
| When the patent pool was first put together and the negotiating began,
| both Sony and Philips were known to be considering taking legal
| action against Microsoft. They had already been successful in
| taking Microsoft to the patent courts in the US, over DRM, in
| support of their acquisition Intertrust, where they won a $440
| million settlement. In a way that?s more of less what they've
| won here.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/14/microsoft_vc-1_codec_analysis/

The evils of proprietary codecs. Flash 8/9 has them. But why?