[News] Funding Campaign Begins for Linux-branded Racing Car, KDE

Tux 500: A Community Powered Linux Markering Program

,----[ Quote ]
| Marketing Linux has always been a tricky proposition. As a community,
| we have relied on corporations who have a stake in the Linux operating
| system to market Linux to the world at large. Today, we have an
| opportunity to change that, and make Linux marketing as much a
| community effort as Linux development. That effort begins with
| the Tux 500 project.
`----

http://www.tux500.com/

Also here:

        http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/04/12/043577.html
http://blog.lobby4linux.com/archives/138-Linux,-We-Have-A-Driver.-Chastain-Motorsports-Announces-Linux-Sponsorship-in-the-Indy-500.html

Also on the subject of funding:

40 Students To Work On KDE During GSoC 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| The KDE project is happy to announce the selection of 40 KDE projects
| for the Google Summer of Code 2007. This is the third consecutive year
| that KDE is participating in the initiative.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1176336589/

This week:

Google Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Accepted student applications for Google Summer of Code have been
| announced! We accepted over 900 student applicants from a pool of
| nearly 6,200 applications.
`----

http://code.google.com/soc/#a

Google Launches "Google Developer Day"

,----[ Quote ]
| The intention behind Google Developer Day sounds somewhat similar to "Hack
| Day" -- an annual one day gathering that rival Yahoo has been hosting in
| its Sunnyvale, California abode inviting software developers to get
| together and experiment with Yahoo applications.
`----

http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/news/psecom,id,15238,srn,4,nodeid,4,_language,Singapore.html
http://tinyurl.com/2vhyu3

open source document analysis and OCR system

,----[ Quote ]
| OCRopus is development is sponsored by Google and is initially
| intended for high-throughput, high-volume document conversion
| efforts. We expect that it will also be an excellent OCR system
| for many other applications.
`----

http://code.google.com/p/ocropus/

What would a Google investment in Maxthon mean to Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| TechCrunch reported on April 10 that Maxthon had sold a minority
| stake of approximately $1 million to Google and that the investment
| "is part of a 'much larger strategic deal' between the two companies."
|
| [...]
|
| Given Google's close partnership with Mozilla, would a Google-backed
| Maxthon dump the IE engine in favor of Gecko, the rendering engine at
| the heart of Mozilla? Or would Google be more likely to push for
| Maxthon to remain IE-based, giving Google a stronger foothold in
| the IE browser marketplace?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=377
ZFS Filesystem for FUSE/Linux