[News] Hewlett-Packard Sees Increasing Interest in Desktop Linux

Q&A: HP exec says Linux Foundation wants to push OS toward common ground

,----[ Quote ]
| You didn't hear much about it in North America, but over the last six
| months or so, I'm personally hearing a lot more interest in Linux on the
| desktop. It's definitely a focus for the foundation. I think it's an area
| that is kind of a "watch this space" for the next couple [of] years.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016294&source=rss_news10
http://tinyurl.com/ysjlye

They seem to be following Dell's footsteps, but it's still work in progress.
They evaluate their options for desktop and laptops with Linux preinstalled,
from what I've been able to gather.

Related:

Orbiting Debian: Interview with Bdale Garbee

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a really exciting time to be in this industry. With the kinds
| of phenomenal growth rates we're seeing, Linux and the whole of open
| source is one of the brighter stars in the IT sky right now.
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/108

Big Debian Linux Payday For HP

,----[ Quote ]
| In fiscal 2006, $25 million in hardware sales in EMEA (Europe,
| Middle East and Africa) were directly related to HP's Debian
| support.
|
| "I was pretty shocked when I found out about this," Jeffrey
| Wade, worldwide marketing manager of open source and Linux at
| HP, told internetnews.com.

More Hope for the Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Far from being uninterested in the Linux desktop, these companies
| all had active assessment programs going on to evaluate it. Driving
| their interest is the cost of doing business with Windows -- not so
| much the licensing fee, but the ongoing need for care and feeding
| of Windows-based machines. While it's easy to see stories about the
| cost of keeping machines virus-free, rebuilt after users install
| malware, etc., it's quite another thing to hear people describe the
| level of effort they absorb just to keep Windows up and running for
| a large user population. From the tone of their voices, they are
| extremely motivated to reduce the support burden of Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| Based on my take regarding the Council's interest in the Linux desktop, I
| would say that these organizations are diligently seeking a desktop
| solution beyond the Microsoft nightmare of purchase, patch, and upgrade.
| When your wealthiest clients are actively looking to stop using your
| solution, you should be worried. I guess there's more potential for the
| Linux desktop than might, at first blush, appear.
`----

http://blogs.cio.com/node/759

HP considering factory-loaded Linux desktops and notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techspot.com/news/24571-hp-considering-factoryloaded-linux-desktops-and-notebooks.html