Re: [News] Call to Avoid Porting Free Software to Windows

  • Subject: Re: [News] Call to Avoid Porting Free Software to Windows
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:47:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> In article <2070262.SKD2KPVSPY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>> Please do not port software to Windows!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | While the GNU General Public License expressly prohibits me from
>> | denying you the freedom to port software protected by it to Windows,
>> | I feel that you do great damage to the world if you do. Let me explain.
>> |
>> | Windows is a proprietary environment. They don't give you the source
>> | code, and they do anything in their power to limit your freedom. They
>> | even try to limit what you can do with the software you rightfully
>> | bought from them. So, supporting them in any way is bad for the
>> | world, because it encourages others to try to limit others'
>> | freedoms (it worked great for Microsoft, so it must be a good
>> | idea, right?).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.fefe.de/nowindows/
>>
>> Pick a License, Any License
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | It's a minefield, people. All I'm saying is this: the next time you
>> | release code into the wild, do your fellow developers a favor and
>> | pick a license-- any license.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000833.html
>>

> Keeping the utter rotten garbage called windows away from Linux sounds
> like a great idea.
>
> If someone needs some reliable computing done, then the solution is to
> replace the windows scum with stable Linux.

This debate is akin to the Wine/Cedega debate.  Clearly, if free software
is ported to the Windows operating system, then it could discourage people
from migrating to the Linux platform, however, it has the advantage of
demonstrating just how good free software really is to an audience which
is clearly comfortable with their typical proprietary fare.

Personally, I think that Firefox has probably done more good in the
minds of the typical user for free software than any number of linux
installations might have done, because the linux is "under the bonnet",
so people aren't all that aware of it.