Re: [News] Microsoft Windows Worries US National Co-ordinator for Security and Counterterrorism

__/ [ Maverick ] on Thursday 12 April 2007 02:08 \__

> Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> In article <26y8dnew93ev$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>  Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>First, it did not happen in 1998.  It happened in 1997.  Second, They did
>>>not send out tugs to tow it in to port, the Yorktown had auxillary
>>>propulsion systems it used to return under power.  Third, The incident was
>>>largely blown out of proportion due to misquoting by the Government
>>>Computer News magazine.
>>>
>>>Also, the Yorktown was running an out of date, and obsolete version of the
>>>SMCS software with the data safeguards deliberately disabled.
>>>
>>>http://www.gcn.com/print/17_32/33639-1.html?topic=news
>>>
>>>From that article:
>>>
>>>"NT played no role in the Yorktown¢s LAN crash, Baker said."
>>>
>>>Further, the source of the story, Anthony DiGiorgio, claims he was
>>>misquoted and never said the things the author claims he said.
>>>
>>>http://www.gcn.com/print/17_20/33292-1.html
>>

>> ...and fifth, this has been discussed numerous times in this group.  It
>> is extremely unlikely that Roy is not aware of the details.  Hence, yet
>> again, he's posting something he knows is incorrect, because he believes
>> that lying is OK if it is a pro-Linux lie.
>>

> Where did he lie?

I posted a link to a story from a reputable source, with some snippets.

I pointed out that, as the Register reports, British subs run Windows
(Windows 2000, IIRC). I also emphasised that they can only trust code which
they are allowed to see (in readable form).

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
roy      pts/0                         Wed Apr 11 09:44   still logged in