[News] Windows Vista Makes Backups, But Demands Money to Give Access to Them

Want Those Backed Up Files? You've Gotta Upgrade Vista.

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, the cheapo versions of Microsoft's new OS make backups of
| your files using the Previous Versions feature, but you aren't
| able to access them without upgrading to Vista Business,
| Enterprise, or Ultimate.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/want-those-backed-up-files-youve-gotta-upgrade-vista-251509.php

Also here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/dave/2007-04.asp

It is sad when recovery and security function (see below) is compromised just
in order to squeeze customers for more cash. It's akin to holding one's data
hostage, literally, not just through properietary formats for lockin.

Related:

Vista Backups [Rant]

,----[ Quote ]
| So here I am with Micorosoft's "Greatest New Operating System" and
| I'm using an old command prompt program "xxcopy" to do a better
| backup than Vista can. I'm still wondering why Microsoft even made
| a Home Premium version because there is nothing Premium about it.
| It's missing many features that XP Pro has like FTP Server,Remote
| Desktop, a useful Backup program. I refuse to pay an extra $150
| to upgrade to Ultimate just on principle. That's what Microsoft
| wants, to lure you in by having you buy a lower version of Vista
| thinking it would at least have the same features as XP, only to
| find out you need the Ultimate version to have those same features.
`----

http://www.technogab.com/?p=85

Rootkits, Bootkits, Viruses & Windows VISTA

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tpmboys.blogspot.com/2007/03/rootkits-bootkits-viruses-vista.html