Re: [News] US Army Uses A Lot of Red Hat Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] US Army Uses A Lot of Red Hat Linux
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:58:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> __/ [ NoStop ] on Tuesday 10 April 2007 01:18 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Conference Highlights Open Technology Adoption within Defense and
>>> Intelligence Systems
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>> How sad that open source can be used in this way to enable the most
>> ruthless empire on the planet to further its killing spree. I wish I didn't
>> have this information.
>
> Still, better than the blue screen of death. Think of it as a validatiom
> argument (security, stability, reliability. I suspect that Windows is not
> favoured by any government around the world. The last thing they need is the
> NSA mining their data.

Tools can always be used in any way the user desires, you cannot blame
the tools for that, although politicians will always argue that if there
are a significant number of improper usage incidents, then a tool should
be restricted in its availability.

In terms of favouring Windows, I think that HMG favours it quite a bit,
presumably it thinks that it is okay for a foreign power to be able to
access all its data.